How to single crochet stitch
The single crochet stitch is the most basic crochet stitch, and is also the stitch used throughout most amigurumi – crochet softies. All other stitches are based on this one, so let’s work on your foundation!
1. Insert the hook under both loops of the next stitch.
2. Yarn over, and pull through the stitch.
3. There should now be 2 loops on your hook.
4. Yarn over.
5. Pull through the remaining loops on the hook…
6. …And you’re done! You should have one loop left on your hook.
If your hook gets stuck when you pull through loops, try:
- making looser loops
- checking if you’ve caught some extra yarn fibers in the hook
- pulling your hook in a direction more parallel to your work, to prevent your hook from getting snagged on something
- rotating the tip of your hook to face the bottom of your piece as you pull it through the loops