How to make a slip knot
Make a slip knot to start flat crochet pieces, otherwise known as crocheted in rows.
1. Make a loop with the yarn, with the tail on top of the working yarn.
2. Put your index finger and thumb in a pinching gesture under the loop.
3. Put your fingers through the loop and pick up the working yarn. Pull it through the loop.
4. Keep a hold on the yarn, and with your other hand, pull on the yarn tail until a knot forms.
5. Place the slip knot on your hook, with the slip knot to the left of the hook and the working yarn behind the hook.